Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
The CBI board of directors are the final authority on all matters involving the contest. The contest is open to all campus radio stations (over-the-air, Internet and cable/closed circuit) television facilities, and other student media outlets. Finalists and winners entries may be posted on the CBI website or other site of its choosing and at its discretion. Rules may be amended by the CBI board of directors at any time.
- Entries must be submitted electronically.
- All entries must be submitted as originally broadcast or produced for a class between June 1, 2016, and May 11, 2017.
- Entry fee for non-members is $65 per entry, with payment to be processed online at the time of submission.
- MP3 is the recommended file format for Audio entries.
- MP4 or MOV are the recommended file formats for Video entries.
- The official online entry form must be used. An entry form is to be filled out individually with each entry. Each entry must be placed in the correct subsection (Audio or Video or Combined) and in the correct category or it will not be considered.
- Each entry must be completely identified to show the name and call letters of the station (if applicable); name and mailing address of the school and/or station; email of the school newspaper or PR office; competition category; title of the entry; the name of the person(s) involved with production of the entry (limit to 10 students); the air/production date; and the length of the entry.
- Entries are limited to two per category per station.
- The same audio/video piece may only be entered in one category each contest year.
- Entries submitted in previous years are not eligible, with the exception of the Student Media Website and Social Media Presence categories. Entries in these categories are expected to have new content within the eligibility period to remain eligible for the competition.
- Entries are to be original work by students (totally student-produced) for a campus media outlet or college credit courses. This work can not be done for professional broadcasting stations or related organizations.
- Programs produced with significant resources outside of the student community are not accepted.
- Use of professional or commercial announcers, or voice-over talent or elements are not allowed.
- All entries must affirm copyright permission for any material not covered by a campus or institutional agreement with ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, or other licensing organization.
- All commercials, public service announcements, and promotional announcements must be edited out of all program entries.
- Each entry may include for the judges supplemental data in the comments section. This supplemental material may include, but is not limited to, a summary of the entry, an explanation of how the topic was selected, the goals achieved, any hurdles that were overcome, and the quantity and quality of audience feedback received. This supplemental material is optional, not required.
- The judges for the contest will be professionals in the field and journalism and mass communications faculty/staff members. They will have the authority to place an entry in a different category than the one in which it was entered.
- Violation of these rules will result in disqualification of a station’s entry from any award consideration by the judges in the category in which the violation occurs.
- CBI is not responsible for reprinting costs associated with submission entry information misspellings.